Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Wasatch Mountain State Park

Visited: December 2017, and various others since 2015

I almost got married at this state park. There is a 'chalet' there that I thought would be perfect for the small crowd I wanted. I just loved the vibe there, and of course, state parks are life. However, renting a tent in case of inclement weather was more than the venue itself. Transportation was an issue. And then, the Wasatch 100 mile race was finishing 200 yards away. And like, good for them, but I really didn't want to say my wedding vows between cowbells ringing for sweaty, wavering runners. SOoooooooooo we ended up moving it to Jordanelle State Park and it was easy and perfect and wonderful and 5 stars would recommend. More on that later. Anywhooooo I've been here quite a few times, I am even a Junior Ranger and showed my extended family the visitor center. It's easy to access over Guardsman Pass and so dang scenic in the fall, how could you not?

This time I went to Dutch Hollow and went to the Heber Valley overlook with my bff Caitlin. It's a nice short trail that is accessible year round. It's very exposed, no shade, so winter was a good time to go. Though we did have to see the smog from Smog Lake City creeping into the valley. Gross. But cute trail and town.



There was a large network of trails here, and it seemed more popular for mountain biking, but hiking was still A-ok.




Here's some pictures of the park in fall. These were from a place called the "Midway Reservoir" which is apparently in the park and it very small and I don't know what recreation it would involve/allow besides running around looking at the aspens and the frogs and some bugs, and ogling at the fall colors. Last pic is of me and Paul (husband), taken by my bff Meegah.



Here's the reservoir in its full summer glory (much more scenic than in fall) ft my bff Caitlin.


And my Junior Ranger badge I earned with my bff Alicia. We got best friend married at this state park.


And here is a dope ass photo I took of a PBR at this park that PBR "liked" on Twitter but didn't have the DECENCY to retweet...............

So yeah this is a pretty freaking neat state park! They even had the winter olympic cross country ski races here. How neat is that? That's pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment