Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Union Pacific Rail Trail

Visited: December 2017

This is a very unusual park- it's a rails to trails project. Part of the old Union Pacific line was converted into a bike path. So the park is about 15 feet wide and 26 miles long. This trail goes from the far end of the Echo Reservoir to Park City. In the summer they run a shuttle so you can just ride one way. It's partially paved, mostly dirt, but nothing my road bike couldn't handle. Well except one particularly sticky patch of mud. I wanted to get one last bike ride in before the snow and the state park website boasted that it was still dry. I rode from the beginning of the trail at the Echo Reservoir, along the lake to the Coaville trailhead, through the town of Coalville, and a few miles past. We did 10 miles roundtrip, and it looks like the trail marks every mile. I spotted a couple of muskrats in puddles/small bogs? along the trail. It looked like you could freely access the Echo Reservoir anywhere there wasn't a fence between the trail and the water. There were some nice sandy beaches and some steep rocky shores. It was a very chilly and windy day but of course better than staying inside!

This is something I'd like to do in it's entirety in the summer with a shuttle. I think I've also run on the Park City trailhead but I can't remember for sure.




No comments:

Post a Comment