Sunday, June 17, 2018

East Canyon

Visited: June 2018

I ran at Jeremy Ranch road today to Mormon Flat, which is also owned by this state park! Mormon Flat was a place the Mormons camped before heading up towards Big Mountain Pass. The Large Springs group campsite is also owned by the state park. Some boy scouts were camping there this morning. And Mormon Flat mostly had fisherman. There is a trailhead to go up to the pass from this spot. My husband started running up it and said it wasn't in great shape though. Marshy and hard to follow.

Afterwards, I was way too hot for it not even being 10 in the morning, and headed a few minutes down the road to East Canyon State Park to cool off. I was ready to show my pass to the gate attendant and was surprised no one was in the booth on a Sunday morning in June. I displayed my pass on my car anyway and there's a sign stating there's a $130 citation for not paying the fee so!! always do that.

I just soaked my lower legs in the cold, blue water and watched people out on their slow boats and some fishermen on the shore. It was very pleasant and I could have hung out there for quite a while. When I got back to the car, I noticed quite a bit of trash in the day use picnic area! The shore was ok, just some lures that I noticed there, but the picnic area was TRASHED. I spent a few minutes filling a grocery bag but the wind had picked up and was making my task exceedingly difficult so I didn't get as much as I would have liked. Sheesh people walk the 50 feet to the dumpster!! People had used the campfire rings at each picnic table as trash cans and a lot of it had blown out. Gross.

The park is pretty though with the water being a very deep blue and some red cliffs off on the horizon. I also like that the shore was left rocky and they didn't try to bring sand in, I feel like rocky shores are just cleaner and I don't like sand getting everywhere!

Mormon Flat

Mormon Flat

East Canyon Reservoir



No comments:

Post a Comment