Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Willard Bay

Visited: February 2018

This is mostly a boat park, but the north unit does have a lot of camping, picnic areas, and a couple gravel beaches. It's connected to the Willard Bay waterfowl refuge, so if you're a bird person, you could look for them here, I saw a flicker and some big bird of prey that I couldn't identify. I did the auto tour of the refuge in October, and saw SO many birds. Pelicans and herons and cranes and osprey and swans and every kind of duck and just so many. Plus a muskrat. The refuge is owned by the DNR (Utah Department of Natural Resources) just like the state parks, but isn't technically part of the state park, so the auto tour over there is free. The south unit of this park is a marina, and is closed in winter. The north unit also has a boat launch, but isn't a marina.

Fun fact, this is a freshwater bay. There is a dike that separates it from the GSL and it's not salty!

I would never pay the fee to get in here one time, $10 is not worth it to me for what was offered especially since I wasn't boating, but I have gotten $200 of use out of my $75 park pass at this point only 5 months in, and I've only done half the parks! And I intend to visit some multiple times. THE PASS IS WORTH IT. GET IT.

I skipped some rocks. I tried to find some dead things to poke with a stick but I couldn't. Oh well.


Gray day. Sunset here would probably be dope

Gravel beach

No comments:

Post a Comment