Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Dead Horse Point

Visited: February 2018

Pssttt... here's a secret. Go to Moab in February. It's not freezing but not hot. There's usually not snow, but the mountains are snow-capped and gorgeous. And no one is there. Since moving to Utah, I can go whenever I want, and I have gotten a whole new feel for what these parks really are. As a kid I had to go over summer break like a normal tourist, and I remember crowds, sweltering, sunburns, traffic, jostling to get to the overlook, loud talkers, and lots more litter. So this is a great new way to see these places!

I was excited to go here for a few reasons. I remember my dad loving this park, and having a few retro t shirts from there. I also remember seeing the potash mines closeup as a child when my parents drove the potash road as far as you can go, and them blowing my little mind. That view is ingrained in my brain. So I was excited to see them again from above!

I was also going to see my friend Joan (ramblinghemlock) and we earned Junior Ranger badges together on our 'adventure'! I made a list of all the state parks with a Junior Ranger program and I already had some, and I'm working on getting all of them. I'll make a post with the list (but I left it at work so that'll be later).

The park ranger there was super sweet. There is a museum, a great 15 minute video, a nature trail at the VC (visitor center), and a very short trail to the overlook at the end of the road. There is a structure at the overlook to provide shade on those brutal summer days. It's a great park and you should go! It shouldn't be overlooked on the way to Canyonlands.

Those colorful ponds are the potash mines! The color is a dye to help them evaporate. They are mining potassium. Check out the snow dusted La Sals... at 30% of their usual snow pack.

My college professor wrote a book on the geology in this area so in theory I should know everything about these formations... E V E R Y T H I N G... especially as I am paying $150 a month still, to know these things... (and yet)


The river looked super green and we thought it was the Green River but it's the Colorado River

Joan and I with our Junior Ranger badges! We did the whole book

No comments:

Post a Comment