Sunday, April 15, 2018

Frontier Homestead

Visited: March 2018

I thought this park would be a quick in-and-out looking at some of the artifacts in the museum. Turns out this is one of the most fun state parks and I want to come back and spend another 5 hours. I only left because the park closed at 5. One hour was not enough.

The inside museum was a bit of what I expected, artifacts from pioneer days, showing horse drawn carriages, travel routes, covered wagons, artifacts from pioneer life (including an impressive gun collection).

Outside though, was a surprise. I thought it would be just a few scattered old cabins and some plaques. While there was some of that, there were also tons of activities you could actually DO instead of just read about. Mine and smelter iron! Crush limestone bricks the old fashioned way! Go into a Native American structure! Pan for gold! Wear a dunce hat in the school! Go to jail! Lasso a cow! Play horseshoes! There was just so much to do. I was running around frantically trying to see it all. I hope I can come back and play soon. And I was an adult there by myself. I can't imagine how fun it would be as a kid, or with friends.



This park used to be called "Iron Mission" state park, because it was based on the Iron Mission overland route. But it has received so much more since then and has expanded.









No comments:

Post a Comment